Historic Photo Gallery

***********************************************************

The following black and white photos were taken in 1907 by a railroad company for a proposed spur in the Walworth area to service the fruit drying houses.  As it turned out, this did not happen but these photos were found in a Westfield, Massachusetts attic, given to a relative (Electa Wilson) of Walworth, and they were donated in 1987 to Kay Scott who at the time was president of the Walworth Historical Society.  This was so lucky for our museum.  These photos were scanned with high resolution and we present some of them here for all to see.

 

George Baker apple dry house located in Lincoln

 

Southeast corner stores in Walworth.

 

The Pacific Hotel on Main Street in Walworth.

 

F. K. Engert fruit dry house in Walworth.

 

Main Street West Walworth looking south.

 

George Baker apple dry house in Lincoln

 

 

The Second Baptist Church of Walworth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The original Walworth Academy.  It was torn down in 1930.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Academy Street looking east.

 

Craggs Roller Mill burned down circa 1930.

 

Main Street Walworth looking north.  The wagons all lined up for this photo to show the railroad people how many people in the area would benefit from the proposed railroad spur in the area.

 

Apple dry house of G. R. Wegnal in Walworth.

 

Lincoln Road in Lincoln looking north.

 

*******************************************************************

 

Long time Walworth Residents

Dorothy Yuker Petty, Monnie Churchill, Hazel Pembroke Bassage

 

 

Four women singers in one of the minstrel shows of the mid-1950’s in Walworth.

Left to right:  Ruth VanHaneghem Reybrouck, Bertha VanHouter Pembroke, Katie Luke Youngman, Joyce Goebert VanHaneghem

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Walworth area celery growers.  This photo was taken in 1944.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alderman Road (Stop 28) school.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Amsler family farm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Behind the Methodist Church in West Walworth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Walworth High School Band in the summer of 1947.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gordon Youngman in his store on Main Street Walworth.  Photo was taken in 1977.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Walworth Historical Society museum soon after construction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stalker’s Store on Main Street in West Walworth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bessie Seeley 85 years old in 1966.  The current library in Walworth is named after her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

West Walworth School #3.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Walworth Station used to be near Walworth-Palmyra Road.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Joe and Lorraine Finley.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Walworth Fried Cake Band.  Rumor had it that these men would play at any parade and all they wanted to be paid was to be fed fried cakes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chancellor Reuben H. Walworth after whom our town was named.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ground-breaking day for our museum.  WHS President Kay Scott does the honors with the shovel.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Scene from the 1956 Walworth Street Dance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The judging stand from the 1976 Walworth Parade.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

An early Walworth Fire Department truck.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A team photo from one of the early Walworth baseball teams.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The first homes built on Orchard Street in Walworth.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Walworth Historical Society member and Wayne Central School teacher Hazel Bassage poses on one of the WHS parade floats.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A view of the town of Walworth in 1950.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Sinclair gas station on the corner in the town of Walworth in 1947.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

West Walworth School #3 inside view in 1947.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Walworth Fire Department marching in a parade in the mid 1980’s.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Elton May’s greenhouse in Walworth.